Stay Informed



I was in an accident, How do I obtain a copy of my accident report?
Accident reports may be obtained in the following ways:

  • All accident reports are available at  Please allow 5-7 business days after the date of accident for processing.  The cost for these reports are $5.00
  • Many accident reports are also available online through the Michigan State Police web site for a $10.00 fee.  To purchase a Traffic Crash Report, go to  Click on the TCPS icon or the Traffic Crash Purchasing System link. 
  • Accident reports are available in our office, Monday through Friday 8:00 AM- 5:00 PM.  There is a $5.00 fee for all accident reports.  If the accident occurred within the last 30 days, you must also fill out and sign a Motor Vehicle FOIA form before the report can be released.
  • You may send a written request to our office, along with a self-addressed stamped envelope and $5.00 payment.  If the accident occurred within the last 30 days, you must also fill out and sign a Motor Vehicle FOIA form before the report can be released.  The Motor Vehicle FOIA Form is available here.
How do I file a police report or speak to an officer?
You may contact an officer at any time by dialing 911. CCE (Charlevoix, Cheboygan, and Emmet County 911 system) will answer all calls and direct the proper resources to you, whether or not it is an emergency.

If you are calling from out of the Emmet county area, you can reach our dispatch center at 1-800-577-1911.
How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
For accident reports, please see the FAQ above regarding accident report requests.

For all other police reports, you must file a request in writing to our office.  You can find our Freedom of Information Act request here.  You are not required to use this form, but FOIA requests must contain the requestor's information (name, address, phone/email) and a thorough description of the records requested.  Requests may be hand delivered to our office, mailed to 101 East Lake Street Petoskey, Michigan 49770, or faxed to 231-347-2471.    

Please note that there are costs associated with completing your FOIA request based on the material provided and time it takes to duplicate the records.
I have a question about an inmate.
All inmates are housed at the Emmet County Sheriff's Department, you may reach them at 231-347-2036.
Does the Department of Public Safety offer Preliminary Breath tests?
We do not offer PBT's.  You may contact the Emmet County Sheriff's Office for their testing time and fees at 231-347-2036.
How do I take care of a parking ticket?
Parking tickets issued by the Department of Public Safety are in yellow envelopes.  These tickets may be paid in our office, mailed in, or dropped off in any drop box downtown.  We are only able to accept cash or check for payment. 

Parking tickets in an orange envelope are issued by the Downtown Parking Bureau and must be handled by their office.  You may reach them at 231-439-9124 or their website.
What are the rules for skateboarding in Petoskey?
Skateboards are not allowed in the central business district, any roadway or bike lane of any roadway, in or across any roadway intersection, or at any public park except for areas within the park designated for such use.  Skateboards are allowed at the City's Riverbend park.  For more information, please click here to review the ordinance.
What are the winter season parking regulations?
Annual winter season, on-street parking regulations begin December 1 and are in place through April 1.  The regulations require parked vehicles to be altered daily from one street side to the other, between 2:00 A.M. and 6:00 A.M., with parking permitted on odd-addressed sides on odd-numbered dates (beginning at 12:00 midnight) and on even-addressed sides on even-numbered dates. On-street parking is prohibited within the Central Business District from 3:00 A.M. to 5:00 A.M., daily.  Public parking lots may be used.  Additionally, parking is not permitted on curb lawns or in unimproved yard areas, and vehicles cannot obstruct sidewalks, nor can vehicles be parked to straddle curbs or in areas where curbs must be mounted to park vehicles.
My neighbor's grass is tall and unsightly. Is this legal?
The City of Petoskey's Nuisance Code requires that grass or weeds be no more than eight (8) inches in height.  If you believe there is a property in violation of this law, please click here to let us know.

You may also contact the City's Ordinance Code Officer, Antonio Belmonte, by calling 231-347-2500.
How can I find out about a person's criminal history?
You may perform a criminal history check by using the Michigan State Police's Internet Criminal History Access Tool (ICHAT).  
What can I do about a neighbor who is storing trash on his/her property?
Questions and/or concerns about excessive trash or debris at a residence or business can be directed to the City by submitting a nuisance complaint form.

Click here to report a problem.
I need my fingerprints taken.
Petoskey Department of Public Safety has temporarily suspended fingerprint services.  
How can I file a complaint against a Petoskey Public Safety Officer?
It is the policy of the Petoskey Department of Public Safety to conduct fair, impartial, and systematic investigations of citizen complaints concerning possible misconduct by a department employee.  These investigations shall be conducted promptly, and the appropriate actions shall be taken when the investigation is completed.  

Please click here to view the Citizen Complaint Form.  This complaint form is also available at the Public Safety Administrative Office at Petoskey City Hall.  The completed citizen complaint form must be done in person to the Public Safety Director or in his absence, the on-duty Lieutenant.  
How can I commend a Public Safety Officer?

Petoskey Public Safety Officers are always happy to help citizens with a variety of needs.  If you would like to commend an officer for an exceptional service, please fill out the information below.  This information will be received by the Public Safety Director who will pass along your message to the officer involved.  Thank you.

Stay Informed

Get Notified