Stay Informed


Frequently Asked Questions - Code Enforcement

My neighbor's grass is tall and unsightly, is this allowed?
Allergenic and poisonous weeds should be properly removed and grass must be kept at eight (8) inches or less.
What are the rules on vehicles in the City?

No person shall park or store, or permit to be parked or stored, any inoperable vehicle; or any unlicensed or unregistered vehicle upon any private premises within the city. If a person who receives written notice from an authorized city official removes the violating vehicle or parts thereof within 14 days of the written notice, that person shall not be deemed to have violated this section.

No notice of violation is required if a civil infraction citation was issued to the same person for the same or a different inoperable, unlicensed or unregistered vehicle or parts thereof, within one year prior to such parking or storing.

This section shall apply to the registered owner of any inoperable motor vehicle and to the owner and lessee of the premises whereon such a vehicle is parked or stored.

This section shall not apply to any vehicle parked or stored within a wholly enclosed garage or other wholly enclosed structure.

 motor vehicles. No disabled motor vehicles shall be permitted in the rights-of-way of the streets, alleys or highways within the city, except when being towed or similarly transported and provided a reasonable time has not lapsed, which shall be deemed to be less than 48 hours from the time of disability for removal, servicing or temporary repair of a disabled vehicle in an emergency caused by an accident or sudden breakdown.

What are the regulations for garage/yard sales?
Garage, porch, or yard sales are allowed for no more than three (3) days in any 90-day period.  Signs for garage sales are not allowed to be placed on street signs, power poles, trees, or within the public right-of-way (between the sidewalk and curb) and may only be displayed for five (5) days.  
What are the rules for skateboarding in the City?

Skateboarding shall be prohibited at all times:

-Any place in the central business district of the City of Petoskey, as shown on the zoning map of the city.
-On any roadway or in the bike lane of any roadway.
-In or across any roadway intersection.
-Any public park, except for areas within parks designated for such use.

Skateboards are allowed at the City's Riverbend Park on Standish Avenue.  

When are fireworks allowed?
The ignition, discharge, or use of consumer fireworks shall be limited to the following days after 11:00 A.M.:

-December 31 until 1:00 a.m. on January 1.
-The Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Memorial Day until 11:45 p.m. on each of those days.

-June 29 to July 4 until 11:45 p.m. on each of those days.
-July 5, if that date is a Friday or Saturday, until 11:45 p.m.
-The Saturday and Sunday immediately preceding Labor Day until 11:45 p.m. on each of those days.

No person shall ignite, discharge, or use consumer fireworks on public property, school property, church property, or the property of another person without that organization's or person's express permission. 

Can I park a vehicle in my front yard?
No person shall park or store, or permit to be parked or stored, any vehicle, boat, trailer, RV, travel trailer or similar items of personal property on any portion of the front yard of a lot in the city, unless parked or stored within a wholly enclosed garage or driveway. Vehicles and trailers, used exclusively for construction purposes, may be temporarily parked in a front yard provided a valid building permit has been issued for the property and the vehicles or trailers are not parked more than 45 days in a calendar year.
When is the noise ordinance in effect?
The noise ordinance is in effect between the hours of 11:00 P.M. and 7:00 A.M.   This applies to noises such as radio/musical instruments, television, shouting, yelling, whistling or any other loud noise.  The noise ordinance also applies to any loud noises at any time or place so as to annoy or disturb the quiet, comfort or repose of persons in any office or in any dwelling, hotel or other type of residence, or of any persons in the vicinity.  

Construction noises are allowed between 7:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M., unless a permit is first obtained from the city clerk.  

Please click here to read the noise ordinance in full.   
Where can I review the City's ordinances?
How do I file an ordinance complaint?
Click here to file an ordinance complaint online.  

You may also speak directly to the Code Enforcement Officer, Officer Antonio Belmonte,  by stopping by or calling City Hall at 231-347-2500.   To email Officer Belmonte, please click here.

Stay Informed

Get Notified